Motorcycle accidents are one of the most serious and dangerous types of accidents on the road. When a motorcycle is involved in an accident, the rider is exposed to a significantly higher risk of injury or death than other motor vehicle drivers. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, over 5,000 motorcyclists were killed in traffic accidents in 2019, and an estimated 82,000 were injured.
Common Types of Injuries from Boca Raton Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, including minor scrapes and bruises to severe, life-changing injuries. Some common types of injuries resulting from motorcycle accidents include:
- Road Rash – Road rash is a common injury in motorcycle accidents that occurs when a rider’s skin rubs against the pavement. Road rash can range from minor scrapes to severe abrasions that require surgery.
- Broken Bones – Motorcycle accidents often result in broken bones, including broken arms, legs, and ribs.
- Traumatic Brain Injury – Traumatic brain injury can occur when a rider’s head strikes the pavement or another object. Even with a helmet, a rider can still suffer a traumatic brain injury in a motorcycle accident.
- Spinal Cord Injury – Spinal cord injuries can be devastating, resulting in paralysis or limited mobility.
- Internal Injuries – Internal injuries, such as organ damage, can occur in motorcycle accidents and may not be immediately apparent.
Serious Injuries or Wrongful Death in Boca Raton, Florida
Unfortunately, motorcycle accidents can result in serious injuries or even wrongful death. Due to the lack of protection for motorcycle riders, they are often more vulnerable to severe injuries, such as head injuries or spinal cord injuries. In some cases, motorcycle accidents can lead to wrongful death, leaving family members to deal with the emotional and financial impact of their loss.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Southern Florida
There are several common causes of motorcycle accidents, including:
- Driver Negligence – Many motorcycle accidents are caused by driver negligence, such as failing to yield the right of way or driving while distracted.
- Unsafe Lane Changes – Motorcycles are smaller than other vehicles, making them more difficult to see on the road. Unsafe lane changes can result in collisions with motorcycles.
- Speeding – Speeding is a common cause of all types of accidents, including motorcycle accidents. Speeding reduces a driver’s ability to react to changing road conditions, including the presence of motorcycles.
- Impaired Driving – Impaired driving is a significant contributor to motorcycle accidents, and even a small amount of alcohol can impair a driver’s ability to react to changing road conditions.
How a Personal Injury Lawyer in Boca Raton, Florida Can Help
If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle accident, it is essential to seek the help of a personal injury lawyer in Boca Raton, Florida. A skilled attorney can help you recover compensation for your injuries, including medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
An experienced personal injury attorney can also help determine liability in your case. In some cases, more than one party may be responsible for the accident, such as the driver of the other vehicle or the manufacturer of a defective motorcycle part. A personal injury lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and hold all responsible parties accountable for your injuries.
Additionally, a personal injury attorney can help negotiate with insurance companies. Insurance companies may try to settle quickly for a lower amount than you are entitled to, and having an experienced attorney on your side can help ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries.