When deciding on matters of child custody and visitation, the Florida courts focus on what is in the best interests of the child. A judge in family court will look at the facts of each case. However, there are a number of factors laid out by the Florida statutes that provide the courts guidance in order to determine what is in the best interests of the child.
Fortunately, you have a Boca Raton family law attorney by your side who knows what the factors are and can use that knowledge to strategically create an argument that works for your case.
Educating And Guiding You
It is important that you receive the information and guidance that you need to understand what is happening in your case. The more you know, the better your decisions will be and the less confusion you will experience. Here are some of the factors that the court looks at:
- The ability of each parent to maintain a relationship between the child and the other parent
- The ability of a parent to follow a parenting schedule and agree to changes
- The division of parenting responsibilities
- The ability of each parent to put their child’s needs first
- How long the child has lived with one parent and the stability of that home
- The ability for parents to maintain a parenting plan, even when visitation involves travel
- The moral fitness of each parent
- The mental and physical health of each parent
- How well the child does at home, and in the community
- The child’s preference, taking into consideration the child’s maturity and intelligence
- Each parent’s involvement in the child’s life
- The ability of each parent to establish a stable routine for the child
- The ability of each parent to communicate with one another regarding child-related matters
- Any past history of domestic violence
- The ability of the parents to be involved in the child’s extracurricular and school activities
- The ability of each parent to provide a healthy home
- The ability of each parent to shield the child from the court action by not discussing the case
Securing The Best Result For You And Your Child
It is important that the best result is secured for your child and for you. The court can decide to give one parent primary responsibility or it may award equal time-sharing. Ideally, when an agreed upon parenting plan may be established. The best interests of the child may be served in those instances where he/she observes cooperation between their parents. Your Florida family law attorney will help you through this process in an effort to bring you the best outcome for you and your child.
Contact Attorney Ronald M. Zakarin For Child Custody Matters
Ronald Zakarin is a Certified Florida Guardian Ad Litem for neglected and abused children in judicial proceedings. Child custody is a serious matter that requires the assistance and representation of an experienced family law attorney. When you are faced with a child custody matter, there will undoubtedly be confusion and uncertainty as to the potential outcome. At the Law Offices of Ronald M. Zakarin, P.A., we understand what you are going through and will be here to help you every step of the way. To learn more about what we can do for you, call us at 561-338-5297 to schedule a free consultation.