(561) 338-LAWS Available 24 Hours
(561) 338-5297 Boca Raton Divorce Lawyer & Family Law Attorney

FAQs About Minor Emancipation in Florida

If you are seeking information about the emancipation process of a minor in Florida, you’ve come to the right place. Knowing where to begin can be confusing, and the thought of the process itself may feel overwhelming. We’re here to help, though. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about becoming emancipated in Florida.

  1. Is there a minimum age requirement that I must meet? In short, yes. You must be at least 16 years old. If you are younger than 16, you must be able to prove that you are able to support yourself.
  2. What does it mean to be automatically emancipated? When you turn 18, you are automatically emancipated in the state of Florida. Also, when you get married, you are considered emancipated. Note: a minor under the age of 18 must obtain parental consent to be married, and this includes emancipated minors.
  3. If I am emancipated, do I gain the right to vote or drink as well? No. Voting and drinking ages are not affected by one’s emancipation.
  4. Do my parents have to pay child support to me if I am emancipated? No. Once you are emancipated you are no longer guaranteed provisions from your parents.
  5. Does it cost anything to begin the emancipation process? Yes. When the Petition for Emancipation of a Minor is filed with the Clerk, there is a charge of $301.
  6. Am I guaranteed emancipation if I file for it? No. The Court will decide whether emancipation is in your best interest. If they rule that it is, then you will be given the rights as though you were 18 years of age.

If you have more questions about becoming emancipated, please feel free to contact us. We will be happy to address any of your concerns and help you with this process.